“The name of the sport appeared when competitors adopted the technique of bobbing back and forth inside the sled to increase its speed (“bobsledding (sport) – Britannica Online Encyclopedia”. Britannica.com. Retrieved 2014-02-21).
Those guys, in the image (above right), look pretty wild … but that sled, going 140 km/h?
As I watched these Olympic Bobsledders in Sochi … yelling out yawps, sprinting beside the sleds, and jumping in, one after another … I was reminded of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (James Thurber). The Walter Mitty character was ” … a vague and mild-mannered man … has five heroic daydream episodes.” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Life_of_Walter_Mitty)
- A pilot of a U.S. Navy flying boat in a storm;
- A magnificent surgeon performing a one-of-a-kind surgery;
- A deadly assassin testifying in a courtroom;
- A Royal Air Force Pilot volunteering for a daring, secret suicide mission to bomb an ammunition dump;
- And as the story ends, Mitty imagines himself facing a firing squad.
Yes, I can hear the announcer now.
“Next up, representing the Americans, the Wilder Man on Rolling Creek team. The Wilder Man’s team’s first run has put them in first place, and they are in good position to be on the podium for the Gold.”